Sunday, October 5, 2008

Stages of Alzhemer's Disease

There are several stages that associates with Alzheimer's disease. These stages show the different pattern's that one may experience while suffering form this mind altering disease. This staging system provide useful frames of reference for understanding how the disease may unfold and for making future plans. It is important to know that not everyone will experience the same symptoms or progress at the same rate. People with Alzheimer die an average of four to six years after diagnosis, but the duration of the disease can vary from three to 20 years. Within framework, it is noted that these stages consist of mild, moderate, moderately severe and sever Alzheimer's disease. It is also noted that which stages fall within the more general divisions of early-stage and late-stage categories.

Stage 1: No impairment ( normal function )

Unimpairment individuals experience no memory problems and none are evident to a health care professional during a medical interview.

Stage 2 : Very mild cognitive decline ( may be normal age-related changes or earliest sign of Alzheimer's disease)

Individuals may feel as if they have memory lapses, especially in forgetting familiar words or names or the location of keys,eyeglasses or other everyday objects. But these problems are not evident during a medical examination or apparent to friends,family or co-workers.

Stage 3: Mild cognitive decline

Early-stage Alzheimer's can be diagnosed in some, but not all, individuals with these symptoms.

Friends, family or co-workers begin to notice deficiencies. Problems with memory or concentration may be measurable in clinical testing or discernible during a detailed medical interview. Common difficulties include:


  • Word-or-name-finding problems noticeable to family or close associates

  • Decreased ability to remember names when introduced to new people

  • Performance issues in social or work settings noticeable to family, friends or co-workers

  • Reading a passage and retaining little material

  • Losing or misplacing a valuable object

  • Decline in ability to plan or organize

Stage 4 : Moderate cognitive decline ( Mild or early- stage Alzheimer's disease)


At this stage, a careful medical interview detects clear-cut deficiencies in the following areas:



  • Decreased knowledge of recent occasions or current events

  • Impaired ability to perform challenging mental arithmetic-for example, to count backward from 75 by 7s

  • Decreased capacity to perform complex tasks, such as planning diner for guests, paying bills and managing finances

  • Reduced memory of personal history

  • The affected individual may subdued and withdrawn, especially in socially or mentally challenging situations

Moderately sever cognitive decline ( Moderate or mid-stage Alzheimer's disease)



  • Be unable during a medical interview to recall such important details as their current address,their telephone number or the name of college or high school from which they graduated

  • Become confused about where they are or about the date, day of the week or season

  • Usually retain substantial knowledge about themselves and know their own name and the names of their spouse and children

  • Usually required no assistance with eating or using the toilet

Stage 6: Sever cognitive decline ( Moderately sever or mid-stage Alzheimer's disease)



  • Lose most awareness of recent experiences and events as well of their surroundings

  • Recollect their personal history imperfectly, although they generally recall their own name

  • Occasionally forget the name of their spouse or primary caregiver but generally can distinguish familiar from unfamiliar faces

  • Need help getting dressed properly;without supervision,may make such errors as putting pajamas over daytime clothes or shoes on wrong feet

  • Experience disruption of their normal sleep/waking cycle

  • Need help with handling details of toileting ( flushing toilet, wiping and disposing of tissue properly)

Stage 7: Very severe cognitive decline ( Severe or late-stage Alzheimer's disease )


This is the final stage of the disease when individuals lose the ability to respond to their environment.



  • Frequently individuals lose their capacity for recognizable speech, although words or phrases may occasionally be uttered

  • Individuals need help with eating and toileting and there is general incontinence of urine

  • Individuals loss the ability to walk without assistance, then the ability to sit without support, the ability to smile, and the ability to hold their head up. Reflexes become abnormal and muscles grow rigid. Swallowing is impaired.

2 comments:

Short Stop said...

This is good information concerning the Alzhemer's disease. I can recall some of the symptoms in my grandmother before she pasted away. She was in the early stages of the disease. It is sad to see an older person go through this. My grandmother forgot her children and grandchilden names and would sometimes not remember who we were. Thanks for the good research on such a crippling disease.

Wicked Witch of the West said...

At my age I worry about this and my doctor's test is always answering -"What did you have for dinner the last three nights?" Then I feel ashamed because I have to admit I get home, tired, and I am alone, or I can't think of what to eat so I grab-hershey kisses, or coffee,or dry cereal out of a box, or maybe canned fruit, or left over something or other. Still the test involves remembering what was eaten -not its USDA qualities and so far I pass.
The truth is I remain concerned because my job requires a sharp memory and an ability to pull facts together and make assessments without always having files in front of me. I have noticed a symptom I call "slow file retreival" where I can picture the information, where I left it, or who I left it with, but can't recall what I need from it until 3 A.M. the next night when I wake up and remember. It is not constant but even at a now and then type occurance it makes me feel like I am losing it.
My doctor feels this is hormone related. Besides estrogen and progesterone there is something called DHea (spelled correctly ?)that also starts to deplete at the onset of menopause and it impacts memory and ability to focus. I hate feeling like I am slipping but I especially hate hot flashes and feeling like I am slipping. What I really hate is that no one can say for sure that when I get through this I will be back to where I was. Some women experience these losses permanently and some remain in a state of mild menopause with continued cognitive deficits as a consequence the rest of their lives. Women who have few to no effects of hormone depletion during menopause--no hot flashes, etc. do not have immediately noticeable loss of cognitive abilities. Owing to a slight family history of female cancer-I am not a HRT replacement canidate unless I insist on it and so far I have not. I used to think if I got very demented or terminally ill I would get a gun and take matters into my own hands rather than winding down someplace drooling. Now I worry if I bought a gun for that purpose I would forget where I put the bullets:-)
Oh to be free of hot flashes and memory decline.