Sunday, October 19, 2008

" Causes of Vascular Dementia"

Vascular dementia can be caused in several different ways. Most commonly is a blockage of small blood vessels somewhere in the vast system of arteries that feed the brain and enter through the base of the skull. Blockages may be caused by plaque build up on the side of the artery wall, or by blood clots which have broken loose and clogged a tributary further downstream. Clots can form as a result of abnormal heart rhythms, or other heart abnormalities. Also, a weak patch on an artery wall can balloon outward and form an aneurysm, which can burst and deprive the brain cells of oxygen. These causes of vascular dementia are dangerous to those who suffer from this disease. I wonder during this research was my uncles suffering from these symptoms. They were both middle age men who died a 1yr. and part from brain aneurysms. There are risk factors that we need to be aware of that associates with vascular dementia and cardiovascular disease. They are high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, a family history of heart problems, disease in arteries in other parts of the body, and heart rhythm abnormalities. There are also lifestyle factors such as,being overweight or smoking can contribute to the risk, as well.





It is estimated that about 50% percent of the cases of vascular dementia result from hypertension, or high blood pressure. Rares causes of vascular dementia are associated with auto-immune inflammatory diseases of the arteries such as Lupus and Temporal Arteritis, which are treatable with drugs that suppress the immune system. I am amazed of the finding of other diseases that are associated with vascular dementia. My sister suffer from Lupus and has been for eigth years. She has gone through several hospitalization due to the break down of her body organs. She has dialysis three times a week. She also suffer with all the risk factors that cause vascular dementia. Is it possible that she may develop vascular dementia? I pray everyday that she will be healed. Vascular Dementia effects those who are not in late adulthood.

3 comments:

Tay said...

Your blogs are very informative. I never thought of the different types of dementia, only the lost of memories of the person affected with it. It saddens me when I see someone who was once full of life, but now seems down.

I look forward to seeing my play mother this weekend, but I know things will be a little different, because she now has dementia, but I'm not sure the type. God is still good in spite of, because she is still here, in her eighties, and we will celebrate her birthday next month

Otha said...

Your blog is very informative. I didn't know anything about vascular dementia until I read your blog. I have history of blood pressure, diabetes, and heart problems in my family. Thats something i could watch out for in the future.

Parag said...

People with dementia experience impaired intellectual functioning that hinders normal activities and relationships, and they lose problem-solving abilities and have trouble maintaining emotional control.
Vascular dementia causes