Monday, November 3, 2008

Recovery tips for Vascular Dementia

Recovery involes learning practical ways to manage memory loss. The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada offers suggestions on how to better cope with memory deficits:


  • Carry a notepad to write down names, dates, appointment times, and errands that need to be completed. This will take pressure off of yourself.

  • Inform the people you're working with that you had a stroke and ask them to speak slowly or repeat information when necessary. That way they know what to expect and you can alleviate any misunderstandings.

  • Exercise your brain! At the end of the day, you can set aside time to recall the day's events, which builds memory capacity.

  • Remove distractions such as t.v. or radio when attempting to understand long messages or instructions. You can ask the person to break the message into smaller parts, and repeat what you heard back to them.

  • Avoid rushing into new tasks; be deliberated and stop to think and plan before beginning.

  • Be patient with yourself. Getting angry only makes it more difficult to remember. See if you can learn some relaxation techniques and use them.

  • Allow those close to you to help you.

2 comments:

MSWstudent said...

Hey Deidre,
I know that these are tips for recovery from vasculary dementia, but I find myself doing more of these tips now. I know I don't have vascular dementia, but as busy as my schedule has become the the more I must depend on things like carrying a notepad (sticky notes) and removing distractions such as the radio and television when I am trying to concentrate. I do have to be patient with myself because I do get angry sometimes and it definitely does not help the situation. I also sometimes find myself unable to remember simple words sometimes and must stop in mid-sentence so that I can calm down and remember what it is I was trying to say. I hope this is not the prelude to memory problems in my old age.

Ann's Blog said...

This is really good information regarding how to compensate for memory deficits. Many people who have had nuerological conditions, such as a stroke, can resume their jobs or other interest if they learn compensatory strategies. I just read in the paper that Lucy Baxley will return to state government. She suffered a stroke a couple of years ago. She uses a wheelchair for mobility but apparently is doing very well. I think she will be a good example for others who are recovering from strokes.
Also, I wanted to comment on your previous entry about other causes of memory problems. My friend's husband was really sick with the flu last year. Of course she wanted to take him to the doctor and he would not go. He started acting confused and couldn't remember things. She took him to the ER and they said it was because he was dehydrated.